Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Would there be any advantage to using the 7.1 analog outputs to my 3808, rather than HDMI to take care of everything? I just read a review about the Oppo, and the reviewer stated "The 7.1 analog outputs on my still not completely broken in unit is excellent, matching the sound I've been getting from my $6000 list Esoteric DV-60 DVD/SACD player."

Could someone please explain this to me.

Thanks

Wheelz, *if* your AVR is not capable of decoding the newer codecs (DTS Master Audio, Dolby TruHD, for example) then you have to depend on your BD player to decode it for you. And if you don't have an HDMI input on your AVR to receive the decoded PCM stream, then you have to use the analog inputs on the receiver. So older AVRs would mate perfectly with this Oppo player. Since the player can decode all the formats and send it out via Analog outs, older receiver owners can enjoy all the high definition sounds. But since you have a 3808 receiver, it's a moot point. You can just let the player bitstream the sound via HDMI and your receiver will do everything.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers