I really like my PS3. I spend at least 6 hours with it each day. I don't game too much, but here and there. I use it for Blu-rays and some DVDs, and much MPEG-4 AVC video. I love the remote, I wish all remotes were Bluetooth. I don't have to point it in any specific direction. I can see how it would be a pain if you use a universal--I don't. Even though I have a launch 60-gig unit, which is supposed to be louder than the current models; since I replaced the thermal compound on the heatsink it is very quite. On 90+ degree days, I can hear the fan from the couch, if I listen closely, but as soon as any content starts it gets covered up.

As for the Oppo, I was all ready to buy one, but after following the "official" thread on AVS for several hundred posts, I think I'll hold off until their next hardware generation. The PS3 has never failed to play any Blu-ray disc. While the Oppo has had issues with several new releases and had to wait for firmware updates. While this is actually the fault of the studios for putting even more restrictive anti-copy measures in place, it doesn't change the fact that the Oppo can't play some BDs at release time. While the Oppo can bitstream the HD codecs, it can't decode them into LPCM and mix in the secondary audio. If you wish to have the secondary audio enabled you'll be degraded to the lossy core audio. Secondary audio is still a bit of a gimmick, but it is part of the Blu-ray spec, and the Oppo can't handle it 100%.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris