Originally Posted By: BigHonu

A surfer from Arizona! COOL!

I first tried surfing in SoCal when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton. “Popcorn,” our corpsman, was a local and got me in with the other locals around San Clemente. Didn’t really start enjoying or getting any good until I was stationed in Ghana. I started body boarding with some wooden boards that “Sam the Great,” former Ghanaian Olympic swimmer’s, sons rented at Labadi Beach.

Then while I was dating the German Ambassadors daughter her brother brought a 6’1” thruster down for his summer break. He never got the hang of it so he sold it to me because I was the only person in Accra “crazy” enough to body surf/board the Labadi Beach break at that time when it was big. That’s when I went nuts surfing 6-10 hours a day almost every day of the week. There was some nice surf along the Ghanaian coast and best of all in a year and a half I only ran into one other surfer, a guy from Canada out from the World Bank.

Continued surfing when I was stationed in New Zealand and later Sierra Leone. Eventually I accumulated 5 boards ranging from a 5’4” thruster to a 10’4” longboard. Only have 4 now as I gave the 9’6” board to Canadian when I left Sierra Leone. I just realized I met a lot of Canadians when I lived in Africa. Always remember we’d make fun of the way the Brits with us would eat pizza with a knife and fork working from the center out while we’d cut into wedges.

Only places I’ve surfed in the last 2 years are Hawaii, Guam and Okinawa. Nice thing about those places is they’re also tourist destinations for Japanese…girls. ;\)

P.S. Surfing is never OT.
P.P.S. Surfing is better than sex!

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1