I bought a Yamaha way back when (HDMI didn't exist, and TV's were only HD ready) and started my first home theater. 8 years later, the left surround channel went. So rather than buy a new receiver I bought a used amp - Anthem MCA 20 - for $250. It was $1500 when new the guy told me and I later verified. So this started me thinking I wanted to go with separates and I started acquiring more. Next one, an Anthem PVA7 for $450 which new was $2200. I liked the Anthem idea because the build quality was excellent and they were a Canadian company which made me feel good. I started looking for pre-pro's and to my shock nothing out there was a reasonable deal. A good pre-pro was the same as a top end receiver. So this made me start looking at cheap, but new, receivers to act as a pre-pro to the amp's. Vicious circle of this but not that and what about and don't forget cables and more power outlets and two more dedicated 20 amp circuits.

Finally, sold the MCA 20 for $750, sold the PVA7 for $1000 because audiogon.com guys love that stuff.

Bought a used RX-V3800 which has lots of power, HMDI, latest decoding, ABT 1010 chip for scaling all for the low low price of $350 because one HDMI port didn't work (does now).

Used the left over money (plus some) and got the M60's and a new EP350.

My point. At no time did the sound change for the better until I got the M60's. All the amplification before it had no impact. I'm stickin with receivers until the number of channels I need cannot be supported in a single chassis or a single power outlet.

HG Cherry M60's,VP150,Qs8's,EP350