Quote:
Hello all! My HT has been untouched for quite a few years and I recently got the 'bug' to upgrade. I'm considering starting off with m80/denon 3805 purchase. I'm hoping someone out there is familiar with the older Infinity Kappa series speakers and how they might compare with the M80's. I have the original Kappa 8's, a large 4-way speaker with 12" woofers, being driven (poorly) by an older Yamaha RV-1100 receiver. (Kappas are very power-hungry). Anyway I recently compared them to some Boston Acoustics VR3's I heard in a Best Buy Magnolia Theatre store, because of their crisp highs and 'forward' sound as compared to the Definitive Technologies 7002's that were in the same room, and that I was considering up to that point. Let me also add that I have a Def Tech PF15 subwoofer that I plan to keep.
First off, I don't consider myself an audiophile, and don't proport to know whether I'm hearing something that's 'warm' as opposed to 'sibilant', or other terms I've read that I frankly don't know how to apply. I am however a musician (part-time now), and obviously know what is pleasing to my ears.
I hooked up the VR3's to the B set of terminals on the Yamaha and started comparing minus the sub. The 1st thing I noticed, other than the obvious efficiency difference, was the crisp highs I heard at the store seemed poor when compared with the Kappas, which surprised me. I'd say that the imaging and the 'forward' sound were traits I liked about the VR3's, but the midrange (especially vocals) was MUCH too prominant and unnatural when compared to the Kappas. Although I bought the Kappas (almost 20yrs ago now) beacuse of their high definition and natural sound which they do great job of, I was never satisfied with the bass 'punchiness' of the speaker, perhaps partially due to the speakers' inefficiency. The sub helps, but I haven't been able to get quite the results I want.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from some Axiom owners with some suggestions as to what I might expect with the m80/3805 combo as an upgrade to what I have, even if it's just to say ...just try em!

Thx!

My 1st post was I thread I started...since then I got Outlaw monos, a PB-13... and I gave the old Def-Tech sub away as a Christmas gift! I still have the EP-500... not being used!

I still have the big Kappa 8's stored here in my computer room. I'll have to get off my lazy ass and put em on ebay soon... it would have to be for local pick-up because of their size. But, I ramble...

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED