Originally Posted By: CV
These headphones aren't blowing me away, either, which I attributed to being spoiled by my Axioms. They can sound nice, but like you, I think I must need to spend quite a lot more to where it competes with my main system.

I have never listened to the HD555 but the Sony MDR-7506 are not gonna "blow you away". They are a closed reference level studio monitor that have a dead accurate response. Its not going to be a "fun" or "exciting" headphone, its just going to be neutral. The 7506 is pretty much the most commonly used headphone in radio and professional studio applications. Why? Because of the neutrality and they are cheap (cost that is).

While the closed nature of the 7506 is ideal for studios and noisy environments I would not generally recommend a closed model as your primary headphone for home music listening. Closed headphones in general give you a limited soundstage and somewhat unnatural "boxy" sound since it is not the way we (humans) interpret sound on a day to day basis by blocking/attenuating any outside noise in our environment. Unless you are trying to purposely attenuate outside noise or prevent sound leaking out, open headphones are for the most part always better.

I think you will appreciate and take comfort in the thought that when you are listening to Regina Spektor, she has probably worn the 7506 on many occasions and some of her albums have probably used them in the recording/mastering process - it would be like having sex with her albums. You can't get any closer to her than that without actually meeting her, that is . cool

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne