Originally Posted By: Steve H
Hi Everyone,

-The Buy It Now button disappears after the first bid is placed. This follows standard auction procedures to provide incentive for customers to act quickly. If the Buy It Now option stayed on after bids are placed there certainly will be complaints from bidders who have been waiting for some time just to have someone click the Buy It Now just before the auction closes. Hopefully my next comment will satisfy people on both sides.

Interesting... Ebay must have changed because I just checked and you are correct. Placing a bid disables the BuyItNow... I would swear it never used to.

IMHO, and this is only my opinion, it may be "standard" but this is not the correct behavior. When someone Bids they run the risk of losing as long as the Auction is open. Whether by conventional bid or BuyItNow.

I can't see someone bidding and complaining that someone else won the item via the BuyItNow. If you're not willing to pay the BuyItNow price and someone uses the BuyItNow, it is really no different than being outbid by conventional means. The second buyer was willing to pay more.

BuyerA Bids $200 on an item with a BuyNow of $250 and BuyerB pays uses the BuyNow, aka bids $250? Sorry BuyerA, you got outbid.

The only time I can see this raising a complaint is when a buyer is willing to pay *more* than the BuyItNow price...

Example: Listing with opening bid = $100, BuyNow = $250

BuyerA places bid of $300. He's willing to pay it but hopes to get it cheaper through the auto-increment bidding system.

BuyerB bids $200 and the increment system puts BuyerA at $201. BuyerA thinks, "Yay, I'm still only paying $201!"

Until BuyerC comes in and hits the BuyItNow button and gets the item for $250. BuyerA's complaint would then be "But I was willing to pay more than the guy who used the BuyItNow button."

Valid, yes. However, why would you run the risk of paying more than you have to and having to wait extra time until the Auction ends? He should have just used the BuyItNow, paid $250 got the speakers right away and saved himself $50 off what he was willing to pay.

BuyerB doesn't have a leg to stand on... "I bid $200 and someone used the BuyItNow for $250! Not fair!" That makes no sense.

my 2 cents.
snazzed

M22, VP150, QS8 <--all v2
Sub: Outlaw LFM1-Plus
Denon AVR1910, Sony X900-65"