hello, I enjoyed your post. Maybe I'll re-visit it later.

Sometimes I feel like the music died too. But then I figured out: it actually just went more underground. One has to dig around a bit more than in the 60's and 70's. Back then mainstream radio "fed" us great stuff. Now mainstream radio isn't even programmed by human DJ's.

So it's back to "alternative" and having to root around for good stuff like a pig sniffs out truffles from the ground.

but I don't feel too bad about it. When the early era rock and roll guys were in their childhoods, some of these guys would have to try really hard to find far away blues stations in the middle of the night to listen to (that played the sort of music that fascinated them). I don't think it's always been a given that great music will come out of the radio.

We're post-modern now, so music is re-doing itself over and over. The incredible innovation that occurred out of the USA in the last century - I can't see that ever happening again, to be honest. Not just for purely musical reasons, but just all the social and technological forces coming together in a sort of "perfect storm" that gave us jazz, blues and country music. Those 3 mated, swirled and gave us all the varieties of rock and soul.

I can't see that ever happening again - at least not in my lifetime. No way.
The elements that were thrown together in the USA that gave birth to that music - that'll never happen again - but the wave isn't completely dead - we still get to ride it - it's just way different now.

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL