Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
So in other words, all the "good stuff" happened "back then" and everything from today is "crap".

If you say so... I didn't!

I'm hoping for a new musical/artistic renaissance for fudge sake! But, yeah.. just look at the facts. Reality supports my argument, not yours...

Let's see if in 20 years, all this "classic" "culture" that happened from 2000 to 2010 is being discussed with reverence and praise like the late 60's and early 70's popular culture. grin

Hell, half the stuff that's "happening" now is crappy remakes of older stuff. Tron Legacy? Kanye West samples King Crimson? Wow... Innovative.

I would argue that that the arts, and all other aspects of popular culture, have peaks and valleys. If you look at Paris in the 20's you can see that there was something magical and innovative happening then that has yet to be repeated (or bested) and very few decades in the 20th century have brought any radical progress to art forms like that time period did. That's why the 60's/70's are so unique. A high water mark. I didn't claim to see into the future. There's still time to have an upturn in creative progress, but the past 20 years have shown a steady decline in all of the major art forms.

Sorry, but if younger peeps really want popular culture that has depth, meaning and impact, then they better come up with some art that matters. That takes skill, practice and the ability to focus. Try harder!

Too many wannabe "rock stars" looking to be famous (with their very own reality show!) who can't even fu#king play 'Louie Louie' competently!

Yes, there is still some great music being created, but innovative and enduring most of it is not!

You can mock the "dinosaurs" all you want, but they will endure long after Kanye/Lady Ga Ga/Nickleback et al are forgotten.

Don't blame older people cause you suck!

It seems the majority of modern music is just a pathetic echo of the past or a horrible auto-tuned vision of the future.

I'm not exactly happy about this situation myself. I still have hope though, but young people just "starting out" need to become more focused and disciplined about their craft.

Learn from and respect the past! Pay some dues and practice, practice, practice!

And write some good songs...

It would also be wise to reject the corporate packaged "fake" rebellion/celebrity culture that is being sold to you. Reject it like the hippies and the punks and the early rappers did! You have so many amazing, modern tools available to you. Get it together outside the current system!

This sums up how every "older" generation views the trappings of the "younger" generation. wink It's a generational thing. That's just sort of how it goes as you get old.

Bullsh#t! My significant other is at the ripe "old" age of 23 and she (as well as most of her peers that have any taste) can tell the difference in quality between Nickleback and Hendrix. Most of the cool kids listen to classic rock that's way older than them. Why is that?

Why are the Beatles still outselling most new bands? Is it because us oldsters keep buying the recordings over and over? Or is it because there really is a rise and fall in cultural progress? You really think your current "trappings" are better than what preceded it? Just look at the charts of every decade. It's so obvious that some quality control issues are at hand.

The 1960's may have catalyzed it, but it's been going on forever. Talking to my then 96-year-old grandmother a few years ago, she still vividly remembered how much her parents disapproved of the speakeasies, bobbed haircuts, revealing clothes, and heaven-forbid; jazz-music of the 1920's that she and her friends enjoyed so very much.

I'm not disapproving anything that's current, I'm openly mocking and deriding it as (mostly) puerile, uninspired and pathetic.

Big difference there Pete.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa