Thanks to both of you. Great advice from both. Yep jake, found an owners thread on avs.

I had to push and hold the power button on my ps3 to "reset" it's configurations since it was sending stereo through hdmi into the tv before getting this Marantz.

The advice on avs was to set the ps3 to bitstream. I can do this once any blu ray has been put in through the ps3 pop up menu while the movie is playing. it gives me a warning when I do that "some audio may not be present when choosing this option". After I did that john, the proper corresponding options should up in my "movie" audio menu. For the dark knight it was dolby true master hd(among other choices like "multi channel in") and on fight club it gave the option DTS. it defaulted to these automatically though and like you said, it remembers what I've choosen.

I was sure wowed after watching the transport scene on the dark knight, even with only my 5.0 setup, it was pretty impressive. I'm in awe...and I always love this fleeting feeling when it comes to stereo lol

Though, I'm sure noticing things I didn't hear and some of them are good and some of them are bad. The bad things I'm hearing are the limitations of my cheap, mismatched, old speakers I think. At especially loud moments in the transport scene I was detecting some raspiness/distortion that sounded nasty to me. I think it's mainly coming from my center and rears. the weakest link in my setup.

My order for my m80s literally was just processed. Can't wait smile

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57