My source is a 5 year old (and very simple) Sony STR d-315 receiver. This is only a 2 channel system and the receiver has only a bass and treble control along with a "low boost" button for added bass. I'm not running a sub and probably have no plans to immediately, though I'm closed-minded.

So far I've played Russell Watson, Les Miserables, and, for old time's sake, some Dan Fogelberg (which has a fair amount of instrumental variety). I've also listened to a bit of NPR radio, though the signals here are not good. However, that said, all the radio stations come through only in mono, so a side-by-side check of speaker brands is easier in one respect.

I also went out today and purchased a pair of Athenea AS-2B's as a further form of comparison (I'm trying to do my homework). Now I am in more of a quandry. I agree that the Axioms sound very "refined" in their reproduction. But the Athenas seem to come through (at least to my ears) a bit stronger in the "highs". And this is what I felt I was missing in the Axioms. I did not change any control levels during my comparison, only switched speakers. The Athenas are louder than the Axioms, as well, although louder is not always smoother.

I have been moving the speakers around (I'm not terribly limited in placement) and fiddeling with the contols, as has been suggested. There are strong points to both the Axioms and the Athenas (looks are not one of them for the Athenas).

I also wanted to find something in the same price range as the Axioms. And I paid $275.58, with tax, for the Athenas. Of course, they are made in China, so price is not an indicator of much. Ahhh, our global economy. O.K., I have to say this: democracy (and capitalism)is slowly coming to China. In a few years they'll all be making $15 an hour and the Athenas will be produced in the States using cheaper labor:)!

Anyway, my research goes on. Thanks again for helping me along that learning curve!!