Yeah Tom, if I understand what your previous measurements were, even the key first position(which determines the calibration of levels and distances)wasn't taken where your ears were. Then following the calibration measurement the next positions(which provided data for room eq rather than calibration)were likewise not at ear level and a significant distance in front. It may be that many users are taking some claims about equalizing the entire room too literally and spreading the microphone positions far apart, thinking that this gives better data.

In the past here I've commented that the measurements should be in a close cluster around the central listening position. I didn't use as close as the 3" separation which Wayne suggests for his basic measurements in that thread, but a still relatively close 1' or so. I note that some of the discussions there describe findings that a 6" or 12" separation was better in their experience. This may vary somewhat with different room acoustics, and I think that the main point probably is that 3" isn't necessarily optimal, but that wide separations significantly differing from ear level don't give best results.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.