Originally Posted By: J. B.
Alaskan teacher,
you wrote "and with my preferred listening volume of 112dB".

i thought that each music recording had its own realistic playback level ("live" level), and the volume must be adjusted accordingly in order to give a good representation, as if you were at the concert.

if i were to adjust for a max. vol. of 112 dBSPL at the MLP for my music or movies, then it would not give me a very realistic reproduction on the great majority of those discs.
some would not be loud enough and some would be much too loud.

i have some CDs or movies that need a vol level of 6 dB over Ref. Level, and others that need as little as Ref. Level -20 dB.

"just the right loudness" has to be found by experimenting and you know when you've found it because the instruments you're hearing sound exactly like they were just a few feet in front of you, or on the side...
the representation then is so true that if you close your eyes, you will think the performer is right in front of you in the concert hall, not in your A/V room.
not in your A/V room, because the acoustic ambiance in the recording helps in making one believe that you're not in your living room anymore, but in the concert hall.

that's what Hi-Fidelity to the original is: transport you to the best seat in the concert hall.

final notes: 1: you don't have to teach here, to an empty class, it's a lot of time lost for you. you would be better to wait until someone asks a question to which you have the necessary knowledge to give a good answer.

2: your mindset does not synchronize well with the type of forum we have here. Like Tom just said above, start a blog; that would surely help people more.

Apparently your not aware of Receivers which tell you the dB off set by the input source.

For Example: When switching over to Directv on my Onkyo receiver it will tell me that
their is a 6dB off set for the source.

So to reach 112dB adjust volume accordingly. These are the BASICS.

Second I started this Thread and clearly have stated what Topics were to be discussed.
I'm not off topic in the least, perhaps you can visit the water cooler if you wish to discuss other Topics.

smile

Last edited by AlaskanAVGuy; 04/11/14 07:33 PM.

The Teacher is in: Trust but Verify