How long do (did) you all spend getting your speakers placed "just right"?

Th reason I ask is because I have 2 pairs of bookshelves currently I'm rotating in my listening room. One pair was exceptionally easy to place and toe in, the other is a chore to get just right. They each performed best in differing locations/toe in- in the same room with regards to the mlp.

Since The 2 sets behave differently, it is easy to spot eachs strengths and shortfalls. One thing to note is the easy pair to set up also sound more accurate. The pair that are a chore are "sweet sounding" "audiophile-ish" speakers that are extremely transparent once placed just right. Like "there are speakers in here?" good. But they took a while.

I also noticed, as I recorded small movements in position first, then toe in, that minute changes in toe in changed the tone and texture of sounds. Especially noticable in piano and vocals. I put a scale behind the listening position and changed toe in 1" at a time. (Using a laser)

There was finally a point where everything just "locked in" and everything sounded real. (Or as real as I can imagine the performance was.)

For those interested the disc I judged instruments by was Bela Fleck- Across the Imaginary Divide.

Piano
Stand up bass
Banjo
Drums

The disc I judged vocals by was Barenaked Ladies- Gordon

After all was said and done, I kinda want to sell the audiophile ones and try something else more accurate. To compare the "accurate" ones to something else.

Pair of M3s on canuck.....

But I have already been "warned". laugh

Last edited by Serenity_Now; 12/18/14 07:43 PM.