In reply to:

Jack, by the way I am assuming you are a BROWNS fan...I am a season ticket holder...Where are you from??

Good assumption! I'm in Fairview Park. Used to be a season's ticket holder, but watch the game from warmer seats now............right here in my living room. But, I'm still a huge fan. Where are you?

Trying to fill the entire area of your room (5400 cubic feet), would be quite a challenge. I certainly don't have any experience with a room that large. But, if I understand you correctly, your listening area is roughly 15 wide by 14 deep with a large open space (15x31 feet) behind the couch. I suspect either of your choices would fill that area OK.

OK. Next question. What is your ratio of movie watching to music listening? I.E., 40% movies, 60% music? Or, 70% movies, 30% music. I ask because the Ascend and Axiom packages you are talking about come with different types of surround speakers. The 170s are direct radiating speakers, while the QS8s are quadrapolar, dispersing surrounds. You should take that difference into consideration when making your decision.

Curtis' advice to hear the speakers for yourself, if possible, is a good one. Which sounds better is a VERY subjective decision influenced by many factors including the size and configuration of your room, your hearing, and your personal tastes.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton