OK, this is probably going to get the same response as my first question about break-in, but...

When I was running a stereo system with M2s and a PSB 6i sub, I tried running with the sub's high pass filter wired between pre-out and amp-in on the receiver. Helped a lot when playing at higher volumes, but I really thought it hurt the imaging noticeably. Not terrible, but not as good as when I had the M2s playing full range.

I wrote it off as a side-effect of having a 12 db/8va passive high pass filter vs. a 24 db/8va active low pass filter in the sub, switched back to full-range on the M2s, then got inspired one night and ordered M60s. Full range, no problem.

Fast forward to the present. Shiny new HK AV receiver with lots of good DSP bits inside. Hook up the M60s, set them to "small" with the sub taking the overflow. Initial default was 100hz cutoff -- didn't like that so much, so split the crossovers and went to 60hz on the mains, 80 hz on the surrounds -- definitely sounded more like I remembered the M60s sounding on the stereo hookup.

I was playing around with the crossover some more tonight, and tried setting the mains back to "large". Holy &%^*, the nice sharp imaging came back (I was playing music at the time). Didn't sound too bad on a couple of DVDs either.

So, here's the question. For you people who run a mix of HT and music, how are you setting the mains ? Small or large ? Does anyone else find that running the mains through the crossover hurts the imaging, or is it just me ?

I don't understand how an LF crossover can really affect imaging, which I *thought* happened mostly up in the KHz range... any ideas ?

Thanks,
JB

P.S. There's that song on the radio again -- "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun". What's that all about ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8