>>...there's an incredible hit off bass when his hands hit the tree and leans over the hobbits. And it's only found in one place...the center channel signal

Interesting. I didn't think the DVDs were supposed to be encoded that way. Question for you -- in the subwoofer "speaker" settings it looks as if only some of the options include the LFE channel in the text string that you pick. I assumed that was just to save space on the screen, ie "you always get the LFE channel but I don't have room to spell it out on every option" but now I'm starting to wonder if some of the crossover options do not LFE to the sub and only route LF content from the mains, center and surround. If that were the case then setting a speaker to "Large" would drastically affect what you get on the sub -- not a problem with the receiver, just "too many options".

I don't actually... um... HAVE a center channel speaker (although I'm gonna order one real soon, honest) so I might not be able to do this test. I will read up on the crossover settings some more, particularly this "does the LFE channel always go to the sub ?" issue. I suspect that the settings are the problem, not anything inherently wrong with the receiver (or so I hope).

JB

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8