LOTR is a prime example of what setting your speakers to small can do for your bass activity. Again, I spent a lot of time this past weekend just testing the center channel, though I did test all of them on and off. A scene where the hobbits first encounter the ringwraith, where he gets off his horse and crouches down on his hands...there's an incredible hit off bass when his hands hit the tree and leans over the hobbits. And it's only found in one place...the center channel signal. So if the speaker is set to large, you'll never hear it...the Hz signal is too low. But if you set the speaker to small and run it through the sub...whump! It's pretty powerful.

This is where the dilema comes in. Large is the full spectrum of quality sound, no compression (my thinking of what's happening) for the mains. Set to small...and you get more bass activity.

BTW, my crossover is disabled on my subwoofer. It's only taking in what the receiver gives it.

I would be interested if another H/K owner would run this test and see if they yield similar results. The test was mainly between (on the center channel) speakers set to 1) Small crossed over at 80 Hz, 2) Small crossed over at 60 Hz, and 3) Speaker to Large.

As I stated before...these test mostly were checking dialogue. Which, as far as I know, generally resides in the 1000-5000 Hz range...which should have nothing to do with 60 or 80 Hz cutoff.

Any thoughts...?

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"