Sorry Semi, but I disagree.. There is a difference in quaility between R/Shack and someone like Winegard, Channel Master, etc..
Yes, R/S makes good stuff.. But not all of it will meet all of your needs.. All antennas are NOT created equal.. Sure, in some cases it might just be a better anti corrosive, or stainless bolts instead of steel, but even those little things will play a part in the big picture :-)
R/S is not going to produce a rig on the same level of quality as a dedicated antenna company.. If for no other comparision than selection..
R/S's only UHF rig is joke, made to look like a pro.. Big 40 inch boom sprouting bow-ties and aluminum rods all over the place.. But only "17" ACTIVE elements ! And then they have the nerve to give it a 75 mile range ??!! Give me a break..
As for the "Did I try a CHEAPER antenna", again, give me a break.. Dude, sorry, but you can't just go around buying one rig after the other, setting them all up, then trying to unsnap all the elements, but it back in a box and return it ? Anyone that has tried that once, knows what I'm talking about.. They don't break down without a lot of hassle, and more often than not, breaking at a joint or bending..
You apparently have a deep seated hate for the person the other side of the counter? Yes, I do ask them for their help.. That's what they are there for.. But I do a lot digging on my own as well.. I ask more than just one person, at more than just one location.. I contacted Winegard directly.. I spoke with a number of antenna installation businesses.. What do you think, that I just walked in to "Wall Mart", and picked the prettyest looking one I could find ? Sheeesh..
Dude, I'm on the Axiom site because I own Axiom speakers.. Do you think I didn't do my research for those ?
I'm not an expert on anything, but I know how to ask questions.. And I ask lots of them.. If I don't think Im getting the straight scoop, I move on....
As for not knowing it was UHF, well excuuuuuuse me !! I didn't know you would be offended with the confession.. I offered the info for anyone else that might find it of interest.. (Or, in your eyes, lacking of knowledge ?)
As to the Kimber comment, where did that come from ? What did I do to you ?
No, I use common 100 percent copper/oxygen free wire, bought at my local electronics store for a song and dance.. But don't think I didn't read all I could on the subject before I made the purchase.. And guess what, I listened to a number of 'sales clerks' in the process.. Shame shame on me, eh ?
Later..

LFE ! The rest is just details..