In reply to:

It's not digital, it's a very high end signal, originating from high end cameras, broadcast in the upper UHF band..

First of all, although it's broadcast via UHF, 8VSB (the transmission format for ATSC aka DTV) is digital, hence the need for a HD tuner, your TV's analog tuner wouldn't be able to do anything with the signal. Second, the type of camera used for the source material is completely irrelevent; whether it's 480i film-based content, 1080i film, or 720p video, the transmission method is the same. ATSC supports some 18 resolutions, but they're all considered DTV.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the "upper UHF band", the exact frequency of the channel has nothing to do with the quality of the picture. (Although if anything it's easier to pick up higher frequencies, that's why VHF channel 2 is usually a bitch to pick up in analog). My HDTV channels are at VHF 9, UHF 19, 27, 31, 32, 35 and 38. Considering UHF can go as high as 69 those are not particularly high and one of them isn't even UHF at all.

As for antenna's. My Radio Shack antenna is in the attic so I didn't pay too much antention to how sturdy it would be in bad weather. It may be fine, but that's not really relevent for me. But I stand by my warning about those expensive non-directional antennas from companies like Winegard. I've heard of quite a few people returning them because they didn't work worth a damn only to find they get a stronger signal from the cheap directional yagi antennas.