Jkohn.. Ok, I did not say that R/S antennas were junk !!?? I said, stay away from them and their like.. Yes, they have a fine reputation for a good amount of electrionic gear, and that rep is well deserved.. But, they offer only ONE (1) model UHF ant, and that one model it lacking in too many ways to be considered for everyone with HD, unless you happen to live very close to the trans site, AND, are not concerned with the very limited gain it will provide.. This, due in part, to such things as the lack of any corrosive resistant coating, and, the wingnut type open to the elements 300 ohm antenna lead hook up.. Which will require a transformer to allow 75 ohm coax to be used.. Another weak link.. Not to mention the limited number of active elements..
Folks, my dad was a t/v tech back in the fifties, and I got a bit on an over view on basics anyway.. I used to put up 40 foot push-ups by myself ! You learn one very important thing doing that, don't install something that is going have you pulling the whole thing down again for repairs in a week.. It doesn't have to have to be gold plated, but it damn sure better be up to the challenge.. As a matter of fact, gold plated terminals would be a welcome addition to antennas.. And that's a fact..
If you are located close to the trans site, have room in the attic or garage for the ant, great.. No need to worry about the weather.. If not, and your ant goes up into the wild outdoors, you best know what you are doing.. Rain, cold and heat will find those weak links and kill low end gear quick, and your reception will pay for that..
To say R/S ants are as good as any other is like saying Ford Chevy and Dodge are all the same.. It just aint so.. There are so many different types of alloys used in the production of all the different types and styles of ants that we would be here for a month debating just that alone..
As to the performance issue with an 'expensive' ant? Well, if you are going to pay big for something, make sure it's the something that is going to match up with your needes.. Again, I am not advocating money as the end all to end all.. I have only been saying that you need to know what your needs are for your area, and take a close look at the gear you buy.. There is junk out there, ok, that's a fact of life.. Our goal is to weed it out, and not get burned paying more than needed in the process.. Just don't sell yourself short..
Glad to see you are among those enjoying the HD life.. It's a grand thing, eh.. I love it.. And it's only going to get better with time..

LFE ! The rest is just details..