Jack writes:
> I'm very proud of her.

<Blushes>

> She works for Texas Instruments (get this!)
> designing computer chips. Not "building"
> chips, but DESIGNING them. She has told me
> what she does a number of times, but she
> speaks in a language I can't understand
> (I know it ain't English), so I just smile>
> and nod my head like I know what she means.

Long and short of it is that I write programs that describe the hardware inside a chip using an odd computer language specifically designed for that purpose. Then run these programs on a computer to see if it behaves like we expect it to. After a BUNCH of bug fixes we send the program to the factory where a chip gets built. We are REALLY careful about testing on the compputers before building the chip because once it's built it can't be patched or upgraded like software, and you can't deliver a new one by sending it over the web.

Right now I'm working on PCI-Express, wihch will eventually be replacing the PCI and Cardbus slots in your computers. I've already seen PCI-Express Graphics Cards for sale at the local computer stores. In another few years, prettty much everything will probably be moving over to PCI-Express. It's many times faster than PCI and uses a lot fewer connections.

Did I get it in English this time? I really do keep trying.

Bren R. writes:
> Woohoo... does this mean we'll see a new
> Texas Instruments home computer? the TI-99/4B?

No, but It's a good bet you've got some TI chips in the computer you're using right now... especially if it's got a USB or Firewire port.

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.