In reply to:

*laughs* Thanks for the primer.

I'm just being an ass as usual.
Yes you are in broadcast field. We all know that.

In reply to:

So what we're looking at is some extra signal processing (unsharp masking) we used to do the same thing in film by shooting a blurred positive (slide) and two sharp negatives, you superimpose them on high contrast paper (like Kodak Polycontrast IV RC) - you get blurred fields of similar color (like subtle face tones), yet you get crisp edge detail. It's a great way of selectively blurring blotchy skin tones, etc - in video it works similarly, regaining lost edge detail without making the entire picture pixelated

True...but step back from the picture and look... even though technology is used to smoothen out the picture...to ones eyes it still does look better in most cases. Many AVS-er including I have done many many get togethers and projected many DVD vs HTPC configurations and most of the time the crowd does always pick the HTPC configured picture. Heck come over to Toronto and I will gladly show a A-B test. Heck even bring over that highly praised DVD player your talking about. So you are saying we are doing mass hysteria again? Should I take out my Kimber cable again?

In reply to:

It's misleading to say no scaling occurs. It occurs in the software signal processor. It's just been moved from whatever is inside the cheap projector to the PC processor. You're still blowing up a 720x480D1 signal to 1600x1200 (or whatever res your projector runs at) - you're just sending it a more contrasty image to make up for the inherent softening. You can't blame a DVD-P for outputting an NTSC signal just because you want to use it on something developed for computer output

I am not misleading anyone. Re-read what I wrote. Of course scaling occurs...on the HTPC...as I clearly stated. As I said earlier not all chips are created equal. You either use whats in the HTPC or whats on the DVD player or whats on the projector itself.

In reply to:

You missed the point. No matter how much you scale up standard resolution off a DVD, you don't unlock hidden resolution on the disc, you interpolate the information that's already there. Any signal can be scaled to any size, but it's only as good as the original video stream.

So your saying the $50 DVD should have the same quality picture as the $1000 HTPC? Even though many of us actualy see a difference...were making it up. The point is not unlocking hidden resolution but cleaning up the current signal...taking out noise if any..smoothing out edges...etc.

In reply to:

Again, the Daytek player puts out an NTSC (television) signal. If someone is looking for a signal that isn't at a standard broadcast resolution, something in the chain better be good at scaling it, be it software, or hardware inside the projector. If the projector was worth it's salt, it would look just fine whether fed from a Mac G5 or a Koss My First DVD Player. The only thing that site you sent shows me is that the projector was a low-end consumer/business model that does a terrible job of upres'ing.

It comes back to your original statement which I addressed.
In reply to:

Rather than a HTPC for day to day watching... why not just pick up a cheap $50 DVD player? ...it's a lot more expensive to put together a system to be able to play back video with any sort of quality than it is to just get the cheapest Koss/Daytek DVD-P on the market

dabingles and turbodog1 was exploring the feasability of having a HTPC to give a better picture than the standard DVD player. And yes they do. You can use your insight and technology being in "broadcasting" but still a HTPC still will look better than that $50 DVD you are talking about. Yes it is more expensive but the people exploring that option knows full well of that cost and it was not an issue.
You should get out of your god complex...and actually check out some of the technology out there. Yes you are in broadcasting but you are not an expert in the technology of scalers..neither am I.

Not only are some supposed 'experts' on here are deaf...but I guess blind too.