OK, let's get this started...

Dennis likes it LOUD. I don't know if everyone realizes that or not, but that's what makes the Halos necessary. That, the rather large room (which doesn't look as big as it is, sort of like his TV in the pictures), and the M80s. At low(er) volumes, like around my maximum volume (!) the system sounded remarkably similar to my M50s. However, once we started getting the volume up around -12 on the C2 and 92 dB or so (which took awhile for us) they really started to shine. Those things (m80s, QS8s, EP600, and Halos) just kept going. It was like being at a concert or in an IMAX theatre. Every time I thought something was going to get harsh or overdriven, the power was there and the speakers put out. Even the QS8s! Take that, you QS12 nuts!

The EP600 is a truly amazing sub. It was a hell of a lot of fun to watch it go. On the second to last recording we put in (darned if I remember what it was), it had AT LEAST an inch of travel going on. Yet the notes were still discreet, and it was not boomy in the slightest.

I hesitate to say this (sorry Saturn and mwc), but the M80s with the EP600 driven by the Halos were the best I have ever heard (with the only slightly possible exception of the Revel Ultimas). Better than the Magnepans. Better than Paradigm Studio 100s. Better than Hales. Better than B&W.

As for the alleged brightness... yes. It was bright. But that's what well recorded stuff IS when it's played at high volumes through accurate speakers. Early on, we thought that DPLIIx-Music was better than DTS:Neo6 Music because it chopped off the treble. Later on, we realized that we were losing accuracy and enjoyment because of it. The only difference between DTS Neo 6 and Stereo (other than the obvious) was the broadening and surrounding nature of the sound stage. Other than that, the voicing sounded the same.

The soundstage of my M50s is to my ear just as good as the M80s at the volumes I listen at. This was a bit of a relief; and impresses the fact that placement is really, really important.

Thank you again to Dennis for giving us free rein on his babies and for his hospitality. It was a blast. Literally...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!