Hi ssutherland!
First of all, raise that$.02 up to at least $.09; The buck has been devalued, plus your opinion is worth more than that!

Your points are well taken! It appears you have full range speakers if you're using M22s in back. What Legairre and I were basically refering to was speakers with a lower limit of about 80hz. Babies' that small out back, in my room at least, "Hisss" when a plane flies at 'em!

Right now I'm using M3s in back with the crossover set to 60, and they aren't bad, but compared to my M50s up front, which are also crossed at 60, they seem a bit lacking in impact-they just "seem" a little smaller, not as much energy on the attack of the sound as the M50s up front.

Part of "MY" problem is my neighborhood! I have commented a few times in the past about the truce in the neighborhood keeping the dreded "Sub Wars" in check. I have to keep the frequencies that find it easy to walk thru walls to a minimum; which means the mains and surrounds have to carry more of the load than y'alls' do. So...

The thought of using a small sub(or two)in back makes a lot of sense. I can defeat the inverse square law by keeping the rear subs(s) close to the listener, plus add more to the attack, in the subs, by raising the crossover to 80 on the QS8s if I go that route-assuming the QS8s aren't described as "Hisssssers"

I certainly agree with you on turning down the crossover. When I had my(3)M3s up front, and the ability to cross only as low as 80, I used to have a problem of having a component of the male voices coming out of the sub!! Major Bummer!!! Now I have the M3 as center also crossed at 60 and I get a good full range output, with no voices thru the sub!

My new receiver crosses down to 60, but not to 40, either-I too, would like to try 40 just for fun-and fun is what it's all about!!!
Rich.