Hi Chess;

I've noticed the effects you're talking about on a number of different DVDs, but thru experence, on other, newer DVDs, whille switching thru different rear channel speakers with different low freq responces, I've found that some "hiss" and others don't! Really!!

More cheap, smaller, more hiss!(No surprises there!)

I've also found a greater propencity to hiss on material recorded in Pro logic rather than DD, as though the rear channels were more full-range in DD.

While the center channel may not be designed as full range, in my house, at least on TV shows, espically, a big chunk of the lower sounds of male voices found their way to my sub, and wow! that was annoying! Crossing the center to 60 got rid of that nastiness. And while it may be "wishfull thinking" the center(M3) "seems" to be just a bit fuller as well, without disrupting dialog. Again, this effect is more pronounced on TV shows.

But yeah, on some material, when I had my old HTIB speakers with an 8" main driver, capable of fairly low frequencies(they would actually "rumble!" when used years ago as mains up front in those old pre-Axiom, pre sub, days, using an Aiwa HTIB with, Wow! Bass Boost!!) But using those old dears in back-though too large for the walls-produced a satisfying surround experience, and would actually "roar" when a plane flew over! So, at least on some material, there's gotta be something there!

But yup, there are tons of folks out there who have some very high powered and sophisticated systems that subscribe to the "Nothing below 80hz" concept. (No, guys, Not just Bose!) THX systems, of course!!

Is this hobby fun, or what!?
Rich.

Just spotted the other posts: Cool
Rich

Last edited by F107plus5; 04/25/05 03:48 PM.