Some of you know of my self confessed affection for modified Axiom made Merak center channel speakers. Let me tell you why, VP shaped anti standing wave cabinet, 2 x 6.5" drivers and a choice between a horn tweeter or a 3/4" titanium (same as used in the previous incarnations of the M2, M1, M0 speakers). So, tweaker that I am, I upgraded the capacitor with Audiocap Thetas, damped the box, and replaced the twin 6.5" drivers with Axiom aluminum drivers. Now, the 6.5"s are free ranging, and the tweeter is crossed over at about 3000Hz, similar set up to the M3.

Anyway, I really like these speakers, I won't tell you how I compare the sound quality to VP100/150s, except to say, I still use the modified Meraks.

Well, some months ago, I saw an auction on ebay for a pair of silk tweeters from the Reference 3a de Capo mm, (and the fancy cross-overs which go with them)) much larger than the 3/4" titanium but I knew they were crossed over at about 3000Hz and the de Capo also uses a free range main driver, so I took a chance. I think the pair cost me $50.00 or something like that. Had the Merak box routed out, the de capo tweeter fit, upgraded the speaker terminal plate and binding posts, added a supertweeter, flat to about 40KHz.

You know, luck counts in this world. This concatenation sounds great!!

Just thought I'd share my tweaker's delight.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.