In reality, using an M50 as a full range center is a fascinating one!

And no, really didn't fill one of my M50s with jelly beans!! Was just kidding, of course!!

I did have to do a similar excercize a couple years back though, when my youngest Grand daughter made a slight adjustment to the vol control; like all the way to "Max" and blew out about a two sguare inch piece of my dear old subwoofers(1946!)driver! I felt a historical obligation to re-use the ancient old cabinet to keep it in service for another 50 yrs or so.

To do so required a new driver, and to get one that worked well at the ideal acoustic suspension alignment of .707, I needed to find a quality driver that had the Thiele Small parameters that matched the requirements of a box with a net volume of 1.654 cu. ft.(liters or cu. ft. for some reason, are the usual units of measurement! Who knew?!)

A while later, during a brouse session at some of my favorite on-line electronics distributors,(while I was in the "Let's make it a bass reflex with a bigger box and a chunk of sewer pipe" mode) I found a 10' Axiom "look-alike" aluminum subwoofer driver, but didn't have the heart to plug the numbers into the calculations to see if it would work! I did buy the required 3.375 port tube though, to go with the 3.76 cu. ft. box that I still might have built by a friend who works in a custom woodworking shop. My current sub has a 3db down point of 38hz where the ported box would be 3db down at 25hz. (My M50s appear to plot 3db down at just below 60hz) These are all plot related numbers without any reguard for room gain.

My current sub gives more than just satisfying output, but without the real fear of re-igniting the neighborhood "Sub Wars"

I was looking closely at a passive AVS sub to go with my subs plate amp, but the wife thought that water tanks belong in the utility room, not next to the fireplace!
Rich,