Hi,

Just a modest correction here: DLP does not have "screen-door effects". The latter is intrinsic to LCD front and rear projection because the grid of wires that fire each LCD pixel runs between all the pixels on an LCD device. In other words, the LCD pixels cannot be placed as close together as a DLP because of the wire grid. The density of the pixels is inherently greater with the TI micro-mirror devices.

It depends on how sensitive you are (and how close you sit) as to whether the screen door effect bothers you. It always bothers me, but not everyone. No such grid exists with a DLP chip.

You can also sit too close to a DLP image and begin to see various artifacts, but it isn't a "screen-door effect".

All single-chip DLP devices except for the three-chip projectors (very expensive) will exhibit rainbow effects. For most viewers, including myself, they are only occasionally visible and a minor distraction in what otherwise can be a stunning image that has very satisfying "pop" and contrast with excellent blacks.

Other viewers who are sensitive to rainbow effects my find they simply cannot use a DLP projector.

I have to intentionally look for rainbow effects by quickly averting my gaze away from the screen and back to see them. I also see them after hours of viewing with pinpoint lights in an image.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)