Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Factory Seconds
#93169 05/10/05 05:52 PM
shareholder in the making
I've never been much of a fan of racing in general... nothing against it, just not "into" it.

Then several years ago I went to a local dragstrip and had a pit pass to do some videography. In addition to the more 'local" guys, they also had alcohol, nitro and jet cars. I absolutely understand what you're saying John when you say "you have to be there". The sheer horsepower is just awe-inspiring and when those jet cars warm up and inch their way to the line, the sound that just keeps hitting your chest is more impressive than I've heard from any subwoofer. There was just no way to duplicate the impact in video... you had to be there.

Ireally imagine that most times, not all, when somone finds something "boring", they just don't understand the intrincities of what's going on.

I could never watch golf on TV until I started playing, THEN I understood how difficult it was. I've always imagined that the "slow" pace of watching two guys battle for first place was similar to NASCAR. One guy makes a small mistake, it may or may not cost him the race/tournament depending upon whether they can recover or if their competitor slips a bit too.

Watching someone try to maintain perfection under incredible pressure is entertaining in itself.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#93170 05/10/05 06:14 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

bren and thasp- and i really thought you guys were a little more *sharp*, than to pull out the "rednecks" and "driving around in circles" jokes.

John - my post was entirely in jest. I don't "get" the sport in the way that most North Americans don't "get" soccer... I'll yell and jump up out of my seat for a Roy Makaay header that curls just outside of the upright, but "stock car" racing doesn't tweak anything inside me. It was always on TV when I was a kid, I didn't "get" it then, and I still don't.

I don't hate all motorsports, but there's something a bit, (I don't want to use the word fake, but... false?) about Busch and NASCAR to me... like they're trying to put one over on me that "no, really... this is a T-bird... and that car over there that's essentially the same but with slightly different panels - that's a Monte Carlo!"... I think I'd much prefer Street Stock or Super Stock - with actual production cars with actual engines I've worked on - I've seen every part in a SB 350, 305, 318 and 360, and even had a few left over as souvenirs when I was done tinkering! Note to all: compression rings are NOT optional!

Everyone's sport is like a religion if they take it seriously. I've got two shooters that watch NASCAR religiously, my VTR op and I sit there speechless as they talk about bank angles at Darlington, then they sit quietly while we discuss FCB being 2 up on aggregate going into Ali Sami Yen.

Wasn't meant to thumb my nose at your sport of choice, was definately just for the humour value for those of us that just don't understand the fascination, y'know?

Bren R.

#93171 05/10/05 06:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Wasn't meant to thumb my nose at your sport of choice

thats OK.. i cant stand soccer!

and i would choose football(NFL), as my "sport of choice". and i wasnt bothered or upset at anything you or thasp said.. i was just responding with my normal 8AM chipperness!!

can we all just find one sport that we like, and agree on..?

naked female juggling..?
6 hour lobster bake marathon..?
midget wrestling..?

i guess we cant find one..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#93172 05/10/05 07:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

naked female juggling..?
midget wrestling..?

If you've ever stayed in the infield for a Talladega event you'll see all of this and more...those folks are crazy up there!

John, we may have crossed paths along the way a time or two. Wife and I owned an airplane for several years that I flew to just about every track on the east coast, she does'nt get into racing so usually it was myself and a couple of friends. Whenever we went to Darlington a local ag operator would let us fly in to his grass strip and we would pitch a tent right under the wing of the airplane, they would shuffle us around and even took us to a place where we could get beer on Sunday!

I agree that watching the sport on TV does not do it any justice, being there live and seeing what the drivers do with the cars at speed is amazing. My first live event was the Daytona 500 in 1976.

Rick
Our Room

smile
#93173 05/10/05 07:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
naked female juggling..?
Exploitive.

Cockroaches of the sea. There ain't enough garlic butter to get me to like them. Gimme beef. Beef and fire.

midget wrestling..?
Exploitive.

So no, I guess Freedom of Choice will have to reign here.

Bren R.

#93174 05/11/05 01:41 AM
I'll keep my beef away from you, thagyaverrymuch. You'll ruin it with too much fire.

#93175 05/11/05 05:38 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Wouldn't dream of starving that tapeworm of yours.

Bren R.

#93176 05/11/05 08:23 AM
As far as parasites go, Taenia saginata is actually quite benign...

#93177 05/11/05 04:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
well there's always naked female midget wresting lobsters. it's like nascar; not that interesting till you've seen it in person but after you've been there you're hooked for life!!

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
#93178 05/11/05 09:51 PM
ratpack Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M80s came today via Fedex. Guess that I will have to wait until my son gets home to help me get them in the house and uppack them. They are pretty big and heavy (just as I expected). The delivery man left them in the garage.

The Rat.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters