>>I just have a regular coaxial, I can't use that?

If the coax cable has RCA connections on it (just plug in) that should be fine. If it has an F-connector (threaded, screw-on) then you need another cable.

>>if I want Surround I can always watch TV thru my VCR anyway.

If you mean "the VCR includes an RF modulator so I can send video and audio into the TV that way" you won't get surround that way -- you need the cable box to separate out the digital surround audio signal, normal TV doesn't have it. If you mean "the cable box has all those digital connections into my DVD / VCR already" I would be surprised.

If you mean something else entirely I would not be surprised

>>huh? I need to buy another thing?

Yeah, every source that you want to get surround sound from requires a separate digital input. Could be coax or optical. I'm assuming you have already confirmed that your cable service includes some programs with surround audio ? If not, make sure you buy the digital cable from some place where you can return it easily.

Note that if you are watching a program which does not have surround sound (most do not) your cable box may only output on the L/R analog jacks, so you will need to switch back and forth from digital to analog inputs for cable. Many receivers do this automatically though...

>>Is that really a down side? I'd need the receiver to use my good speakers...the tv speakers are terrible.

Yep... they just wrote that part because not everyone wants to hear TV through their "loud" speakers

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8