In reply to:

just have a regular coaxial, I can't use that? My DVD player is also a VCR, if I want Surround I can always watch TV thru my VCR anyway.

I think you CAN use a regular coaxial cable, but someone with more knowledge can either confirm or deny that. I use what is designated as a "digital coaxial cable," which, as you can see, isn't very expensive. I'm sure you can find one at your local Radio Shack.

In reply to:

huh? I need to buy another thing?

If you only run the standard dual analog audio cable, with red and white color coding, from any source device to your receiver, all you're going to get is stereo, which can be processed into Pro Logic surround. But if you want Dolby Digital or DTS, you're going to have to run a digital connection from each source.

In reply to:

Is that really a down side? I'd need the receiver to use my good speakers...the tv speakers are terrible.

LOL! Well, apparently, NOT in your case. My TV speakers are pretty darn good, and I see no reason to turn on my entire system just to listen to Brian Williams give me the news. So, for me, it IS a down side. YMMV.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton