Steve,

Glad to hear you love your 80’s. They are dandy speakers.

With the money you have set aside, separates will be a stretch. My personal opinion is that they are not necessary, but if funds are available, separates are the way to go. Once you buy the amps, they will be last forever and you wouldn’t feel the need to upgrade. When new technology comes around, the pre/pro is all you would need to upgrade. Unless you don’t mind buying used electronics, you will not have enough money to go this route though.

That being said, $1500 US will go a long ways toward a good receiver. My list would include the NAD 773, HK 7300. I don’t much care for Denon. I think they are overpriced for what you get. In your price range, NAD and HK will most definitely drive those 80’s till the cows come home. They have massive current supplying amplifiers. There is no other brand that will match that…..until you go up in $$$$. I also wouldn’t let the THX badge weigh your choice. It’s overrated.

If you can pull together another $500 US, you could get yourself a good NAD or Rotel pre/pro, a 5 X 75 amp, and a 2 X 150 (NAD) or 2 X 200 (Rotel) amp for the mains.

Good luck….