OK. Need your help. Hooking up M60s with a sub, to an old stereo-only receiver. I'm not concerned about the hook up; high level outs from the receiver to the sub high level ins, then high level outs from the the sub to the M60s. Then use the subs crossover. But, I'm struggling with how to balance the subs volume with the M60s volume. No test tones in the receiver,but I've got a DVE disc.

Will the following do the job? Hook up the M60s alone to the receiver; set the receivers volume level to "reference," or whatever (it won't really matter); play the pink noise from DVE; note the reading on the SPL meter; then hook up the sub by itself to the receiver, leaving the receiver's volume level exactly where it was for the M60s; play the pink noise again and, using the volume knob on the back of the sub, adjust the subs reading on the SPL meter to match what it read with the M60.

I'd have to use the pink noise for the Left front or right front on the DVE disc, since the sub would be hooked up to the main outputs on the receiver. Somehow It seems like I'm overlooking something.

Is this a "just do it by ear" situation?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton