It's going cheap (well free actually). For anyone that is interested, I've finally had the opportunity to create a collection of some of my current listening. The track listing is:

The Trews – Not Ready to Go – just a rock band, plain and simple. They can write a great hook though.

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros – Coma Girl – Joe Strummer, formerly of “the Clash” fame, his fairwell album. A great mix of rock & reggae. Also an amazing cover of “Redemption Song” on this album.

Sahara Hotnights – Hot Night Crash – a major guilty pleasure of mine, these girls are pop-punk to the core. They listened to a lot of Donnas albums. Also prove you can look good and be talented.

I Mother Earth – When Did You Get Back From Mars – a long-standing favorite of mine, a Canadian hardrock outfit. I’m one of the few that thought their songwriting picked up steam after head-case Edwin left the group.

Pearl Jam – Yellow Ledbetter – I couldn’t very well leave my favorite band off the list, even if everyone knows all their songs already. This is the best PJ song that never made an album (until recent Lost Dogs), relegated to the B Side of the Jeremy single.

The Fiery Furnaces – Tropical-Iceland – from their B-Side collection, pop influence runs deep in their music. They are anything but traditional pop though.

Death Cab for Cutie – Transatlantisicm – they are not such a well kept secret any more. Great indie band. This song was used in a TV ad once I just can’t remember which one???

Buzzcocks – Ever Fallen In Love? – this is certainly the Buzzcocks most well-known song, but only one of many greats. It is a live-cover staple (in fact I’ve seen it covered 3 times at concerts).

Apples in Stereo – Rainfall – another great indie band with great Britpop influences.

The Cooper Temple Clause – Panzer Attack – a British altrock/grunge outfit. The song name is fitting, this one kind of rolls over you like a WWII tank.

Billy Talent – Voices of Violence – while I may not always agree with their politics, these guys can write a hook like no other punk band around. Great catchy choruses that you want to sing along to (well I do anyways – I suppose it takes a special kind).

The Libertines – Horrorshow – probably one of the most well known bands in Britain, they essentially imploded over the lead singer Peter Doherty’s heroin problems. Both of their albums are produced by former Clash member, Mick Jones, and his influence is clearly audible. Think also – the Hives, the Vines, etc.

The Constantines – Shine a Light – title track from what would be considered their breakout second album. These guys are a great live show, they just seem to have so much fun (of course excessive drug use could have something to do with that).

Art Brut – Formed a Band – art rock following in the footsteps of Franz Ferdinand, apparently they wrote this song 5 minutes after they formed as a band.

The Mars Volta – Eriatarka – formed by 2 former members of At the Drive-In. I’m not even sure how to describe these guys, prog/pyschedelic rock – way beyond conventional. Most concept albums are a little scary but this one is well worth the listen.

The Distillers – Coral Fang – title track from the album, certainly their most polished album, though very dark. Certainly the closest they’ll ever come to radio friendly.

Death from Above 1979 – Black History Month - I can honestly say I hadn’t heard of these guys until I saw them open for Billy Talent on a Candian Tour. My ears rang for days, but an amazing show – only a bass (occasionally switches to keyboard) and drums.

Hot Hot Heat – Bandages – poppy, electronica outfit from Canada. Apparently they made a huge splash at this year’s SXSW music festival.

Caribou – Lord Leopard – used to be known as “Manitoba”, cerebral music, but what else would you expect from a guy with a PhD in Mathematics. Recorded on a shoestring budget. This is his most “hip-hop” song of the album. He puts on a great live show, with cartoon movies projected on the backdrop.

Weakerthans – A Plea from a Cat Named Virtue – band formed by the former lead singer of Propaghandi, a politically charged punk outfit from Winnipeg. Lyrics are always key with the Weakerthans. This is a hillarious song sung through the view of John Samson’s cat.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps – more garage rock here, wailing vocals from Karen O. I had to throw on at least one ballad, I guess this would be it. I think this may have actually had a bit of chart success in the US.

Sorry about the extensive write-up, I just thought some people might want to know what they are getting themselves into. If anyone is interested, PM me. I only have about a dozen copies made (Ken, Bren & Mark get 1st dibs), the rest are first come first serve, but I can make more. I'll probably get around to mailing them sometime later next week.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Scott

"Chickens don't clap."