Well I think that is it. I am going to get rid of this h/k and go back to my Onkyo for now. It is as if I am trying to like this h/k because of the name and reputation, but in the end it has this problem with the 6.1/8/.1 channel and it gets so freaking hot that it is affecting my DVD player that rests on the shelf above it. I had the receiver on for a couple of hours without playing anything and it was so hot that you could not touch the top of it for more than a tenth of a second without burning your hand. This is ridiculous. The onkyo might get so that you can tell it is warm when not playing anything but never, even playing at reference levels through 5 channels, has it gotten anywhere near as hot as the h/k. I don't want to have to set up an external fan just to make up for it. That seems ridiculous.

I made the upgrade mainly to have the ability of preamp outputs for all channels and 7.1. But it just doesn't seem worth it at this point. Perhaps I will go for the Onkyo tx-sr702 someday in the future when the price drops a bit or just wait to see what else might come out in the next 6 months or so.

Side note: I was really looking forward to the ability to set the crossover levels at different settings for front, center and surrounds. I had them set at 40hz, 80hz, and 60hz respectively. When I ran my test disc my bass frequency response curve went south. There were large fluctuations in the bass curve as much as 12db. When I went back and set everything to 60 hz everything smoothed back out to within +/- 3db. So at least in my room the multiple adjustable crossovers are not going to do me any good anyway. So oh well. . .I hope h/k doesn't make the return a pain in the butt.