I thought I'd comment here opposed to starting a new thread - I had them for a whole 8 hours before I went nuts with the fact that I couldn't use them.

In reply to:

[02:40:58] <Thasp> My hifi has arrived
[02:41:02] <Thasp> only the speakers, though.
[02:41:20] <Thasp> I am impatient. so I took an 11 year old tape player from kmart, and attempted to hook it up.
[02:42:01] <Thasp> yet the cables are bananas. so I took RCA interconnects that came with my MP3 player, and an old ethernet cable, cut them up into speaker cables, and have it hooked up to my mp3 player.
[02:42:23] <Thasp> the speaker "stands" are the boxes they came in. this is uber-ghetto

I now use the boxes as a stand for the "receiver" that weighs less than a quart of milk and have the speakers on some "stands" that were in the garage(25 year old wood contraptions that were used as a magazine stand or a chair of some sort.. I can't really tell). I had the "receiver" thing from the 11 year old kmart tape player on top of the boxes so the wiring would reach from there to the speakers. The cables are an old piece of ethernet wiring and the other RCA interconnects I cut up into speaker cables that came with my old MP3 player.

The cheap interconnects connecting my source to the tape player amp thing cost more than the stands for the tape player thing, the speaker wire, and the rest of the setup but the speaks. I should have my "real" equipment in a week along with a nice HSU sub.

So far, they sound great. When I first heard them, it was only one speaker attached. It took so long for me to get the wires cut right that I had to hear how one sounded before I went back to work with scissors and a boxcutter. I compared it to the other speaker attached to it by using the balance control, playing recordings that were somewhat even across the left and right channels. Even though the Axioms are sensitive, the one that came with the tape player went well over twice as loud at the same volume level. Yet it was so unbalanced.. and the m22tis had such a deeper bass.

I can't play it loud yet(nor will I try to with such a pea sized trashy amp), but they sound awesome. I thought they were loud, yet when I went into another room they were very low. Usually, the music is very loud in the other room when using something like the TV or a boombox as my speakers because they have to be loud for everything to come out - not the case with the Axioms.

They never blew me away. This is a good thing however. Everything sounds balanced and like it should. If this is the first speaker you're hearing in a long time(this was the case for me), they definately won't blow you awau. Once you get used to these, everything else will have too much/little treble, midrange, midbass.. etc.

Last edited by Thasp; 07/27/05 02:16 AM.