Does anyone have any experience with hooking up a two channel preamp and amp to a multichannel receiver using the HT bypass feature? This problem is frustrating because I'm convinced it's something simple or obvious that I am overlooking.

I've been using a separate two channel amp in my HT set-up. Recently I decided to add in a preamp that I had. I wanted to see what it could add to my two channel listening experience. Problem is is that I want to be able to use the HT bypass on the preamp so when I watch a movie I can control the volume with the receiver. I don't want to play the game of trying to match the volume of the receiver with the volume of the preamp. As I believe, this is the function of the HT bypass, right?

I'm using my Denon 2900 as both my cd player and dvd player. Okay, I have my speakers hooked up to the 2 channel amp. The 2 channel amp is hooked up to the preamp. The 2900 is hooked up to the cd input of the preamp. My H/K receiver is hooked up to the preamps HT bypass input through the preout rcas.

When I use my Denon as a cd player, everything is fine. However, I get no sound from the left and right channels when I switch the preamp to HT bypass. If I switch the dial on the preamp back to "cd" I get sound, but the preamp is controlling the volume. If I want to use my Xbox or PS2, I can't get any sound out of the left and right channels no matter what. I am getting very frustrated with this, but I am determined to make it work.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Go easy on me if I've made a stupid mistake somewhere. Please.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose