In reply to:

The 2900 needs to be hooked up to both the preamp (stereo RCA) and HK receiver (optical or coax) -- assume this is already done ?

Yeah, I did that.

In reply to:

Seems to me the real trick is going to be getting the 2900 to output to the analog jacks when playing a CD and to the TOSLINK (optical / coax) when playing a DVD... or does it do this automatically ?

It should be doing this automatically. When using it for two channel listening while it was hooked up to the HK, I set the HK to the six channel analog input, not the cd input.

In reply to:

It sounds like the HK isn't getting an input, so nothing is going to the pre-outs, so nothing comes out of the amp when pre is set to HT bypass. What source are you using when HT bypass is enabled ? Hope it's not CD unless you have CD input on the HK as well

If I keep the preamp set to cd, I get sound when I select the DVD source on the HK. I have two volume knobs to adjust, though. But when I turn on my Xbox, I get no sound out of the left and right no matter what setting I have the preamp at--cd or HT bypass.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose