>>But I figured that because of the M2s are more forward sounding than the M3 they would work better in my room. No??

In a typical listening room, at moderate volumes, I would still go with M2 over M3 with a sub. There are a few reasons I would think about M3s for your room :

1. Your room looks to be kind of bright, with exposed walls and lots of glass. The M3 will counter that a bit...

2. I don't remember how big your room is, but if it is at least medium sized you might find the M2s start to gently hit their volume limits on some music and movies while the M3s can go a few dB louder and be more satisfying as a result.

3. I still think I can hear some kind of artifact when listening to certain music with a sub; again unproven but I do prefer listing to some music with full range speakers rather than sat/sub -- going with M3s would let you experiment with that and see what you prefer. Note this is the smallest of the considerations...

I was wondering about the M2 vs. M3 sound and eventually borrowed a pair of M3s to compare. Link to the thread below, but the executive summary was that the M2s did sound more forward but the difference was very small; the best analogy we could come up with was that M2/22/60 sound like the singer is about a foot in front of the speakers; M50s sound like the singer is a foot further away; M3s and M40s sound like the singer is perhaps a foot behind the speakers, ie two feet less "forward" than the M2/M22/M60. Bottom line is that the M2 is definitely "in your face" more than the M3 but you only really notice the difference on specific albums, particularly albums with female vocalists and acoustic instruments. Take all this with a grain of salt, of course.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ST&Number=86248&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Last edited by bridgman; 09/17/05 03:58 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8