My son is out of college and I decided to treat myself to my first upgrade in stereo in a long time and my first ever HT set-up! But now the shock and realization that I may have gotten in over my head. I purchased the Epic 80/600 7.1 system and am attempting to power it with the Denon AVR4806. I have been working on the set-up for several days now and I still haven't heard my new speakers.

I still have my old Sony Trinitron 27" TV I bought in 1991. It has an S-video connection. I also have a Samsung DVD-M301 (not progressive scan) with component connections. After making all of the connections, which I can only hope is correct: The S-Video on the TV to the S-Video "in" monitor port,(I don't get any picture at all with it in the TV "in" port) all I get is a blue picture but no sound with this arrangement. I am able to get the menu to come up on the TV however.

The selections on the set-up menu don't always allow me to select the connections that I'm using. Example under the "Digital Assign" menu, when setting up the DVD connection, it offers coax 1,2,3 or optical 1,2,3,4,5 or none. Where can I enter the "component cable" connection and will that allow me to get an acceptable picture and sound?

By the way, I did get to briefly hear my speakers, and assertain that I had them wired correctly during the Audessy EQ set-up. The EP600 sounded like the "Incredible Hulk" knocking on the roof during the sub test! It was a short but sweet introduction to the new speakers.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

"Never, never, never give up "... Winston Churchill