If I were you, I'd get the M22's as mains, the vp100 center, the QS4 surrounds, and I'd purchase a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer. The first time you hear this setup you'll pee yourself with delight - be sure to be wearing some Depends.

In total that setup will cost you $1430. A really good subwoofer is EXTREMELY important. Don't skimp on that. The two names that come up repeatedly are Hsu and SVS. Personally I have the Hsu and love it, I haven't heard the SVS. From what I've heard both are great - the Hsu being more "musical and tight" and the SVS being able to produce bigger sound. It's a matter of preference.

As far Axiom's being called "bright". That's not a good description. Crisp, Clear, and detailed is more apt. The closest I heard when shopping around was the Energy C-3. Though side by side, the M22 is much clearer. Alone the C-3 sounded great, but compared A/B with the M22, it sounded a bit muddy.

Depending on your budget, from there you could upgrade the M22's to M60's for a bit bigger sound. Hsu also has a VTF-3 subwoofer that sounds just like the VTF-2, but can go lower and louder. (Unless you are in a big place, or like to completely shake the house, the VTF-2 is probably enough though)