Brian,

Like Oldskoolboarder, my wire and cable runs have always been cheap and dirty. In fact, erring on the side of caution, I usually suggest that cables should not be bundled together because of the theoretical danger of induced interference.

However, usually an inch or so of physical separation between AC power cords, video cables and speaker cable is sufficient to remove any danger of induced effects (because of the inverse square ratio law, too tedious to go into here).

Anyway, I've never encountered any kind of induced hum or video anomalies in the many decades of running cables to A/V gear.

The "ground-loop" monster is the only occasional problem that crops up. That, and once living within one city block of a TV transmitter of a station where I once worked. In the latter case, my speaker cables served as a primitive antenna, feeding the audio of the TV signal back into my amplifier where it was rectified and showed up in the background no matter what source I listened to. Replacing the standard speaker cables with shielded speaker cables fixed the problem of the Radio Frequency Interference (RFI).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)