I didn't mean to discourage you. The Axioms are VERY good loudspeakers for the price. The midrange on the 3ti and 22ti is hard to beat at any price level. In fact I would say they have the best midrange of ANY speaker I have heard under $500. But no speaker is perfect and the little Axioms can't do everything. If played loud they can sound strained compared to a few other very nice speakers. If you listen to a lot of loud rock you may wish to look into one of the Axiom floor standers and not a bookshelf speaker.
The little Paradigm Atom is a very unique speaker in that it can be played at VERY loud rock levels without breaking up. It will also image like a hologram. But like the Axioms it is not perfect. Its midrange is no where near as good as the Axioms. Its midrange is congested and dry. You will also need good tone controls with the Atoms because I guarantee you will need to turn the treble up. With the Axiom 3ti my tone controls stay at neutral and it sounds just right...no bass or treble is needed.
I would go ahead and get the Axioms first...that way if you don't like it you can send it back for a refund. I'm keeping my Axioms...there midrange is just to good to let go.