IIRC, Star Wars I: The Phatom Menace was one of the first movies filmed in Digital format. Makes it much easier to transfer to dvd and in HiDef.

When Blu-Ray/HD-DVD finally come out, I think the newer movies will definitely look a little better since most movies nowadays are filmed in digital format (although someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I do watch movies on HDNet and HDMovies (saw Open Range and Natural Born Killers last night) and they both looked pretty damn amazing. Hopefully Blu-Ray/HD-DVD will look a little better and have improved sound. I also have an Oppo upconverting player and I think I will be able to tell the difference between DVD and HD quality pictures. Although, LotR EE versions look pretty damn close to HD quality as it is.

We also have the possibility this might turn into a stillborn technology like SACD/DVDA. Yes, I realize many members here have these formats but from a mainstream perspective hardly anyone knows about em. For most people, DVD might be good enough and relegate the newer technologies to the video/audiophiles.

Last edited by hashts; 12/05/05 11:30 PM.