I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but having just bought myself a Marantz SR4500 for Christmas, I have to say that after the 1060 amp I had back in the 70's, I'm still impressed with the sound that Marantz produces. I got it for a discount since it was "last year's model" and with 70 watts X 7 it's got plenty of power for my tract house. At first, I think you'll find it mellow or warm compared to a lot of stuff out there, but after a while, you'll have to conclude that it is just plain truly neutral in sound. And it has all the different surround sound modes (Dolby, DTS, etc).

Here's a smile for all those dudes out there with their fancy equipment: I got an older Marantz TA100 receiver (100 W X 2) from eBay, but found I wanted more, so I got the new reciever. However, I use the TA100 as a power amp for a couple of bigger speakers I use for LFE! I still lack really GOOD main speakers, which is how I came to discover this company and their forum (while reading speaker reviews).

I"d stick with the Marantz. It's good ole (north) American made technology!

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion: you must set yourself on fire!