Bridgman, thanks for the info. I don’t pretend to be an electrical engineer but all info is much appreciated. I can only comment on real world accounts and I think that’s were products need to prove themselves. I can do research out the wazoo but it means little when the product fails in real life scenarios, such as MOVs wearing out, plus the added bonus of damn near burning down my home with their so called protection. Besides the MOVs that exsist in my battery backups (APC), there are no other MOVs in my home. I trust nothing 100%, that’s why almost everything is unplugged in my home during lighting storms and hurricanes. However, food can cost as much as a refrigerator so that needs to stay plugged in during storms.

All I can say is, not just my next door neighbor but other neighbors as well, lost many items due to the surges from the transformer blowing. I even had two closet light bulbs pop, they actually shattered, exploded. So while my neighbors were crying about lost appliances and computers fried that were on surge protectors (mov) I plugged my refrigerator and tv into the generator and they chugged along just fine. Bottom line, everyone on the block lost electrical equipment and appliances thanks to their MOV protection. There’s no doubt in my mind that the Series Mode protection saved my stuff, especially while I stood there looking at shattered light bulbs while I hear my tv running in the background I also agree with BruceH about the whole house surge protection which will eventually be installed here as well.