Denon is OK for movies, but not good at all for stereo. I had Denon 2805 and axioms M60 more than one year, and I was more disappointed than happy. I also tried Marantz and HK (now I do not remember models). Denon was better, but still…………………
Unfortunately, and regardless previous good reputation, Denon produces today mass market products rather than high fidelity equipment. Look at NAD or Yamaha.
However, for the full enjoinment of music and your speakers you should consider integrated amp (or separates) from hi-fi hi-end oriented companies (Rotel, NAD, Parasound, Musical Fidelity are just a few of them). I also think it is difficult to find universal DVD player (with the exception of few very expensive models) that will match the sound reproduction of CD player.
I can personally tell that integrated amp NAD c352 paired with NAD CD-player c542 and axioms M60 produce very good, clean, soft and pleasant sound. Speaker cables and interconnects are also important. Do not believe?, try to compare many of them, invite your friends and family members. If you will not drink beer or wine before or during listening, you will find difference, and sometimes this difference could be dramatic.
Bets regards.
AM