In reply to:

The 16:9 setting for the TV monitor should be the correct setting to fill to the sides. You would have black bars on top and bottom to fill in the difference from the 1.78 to 2.35 ratio of the film. It "shouldn't" look stretched at that setting, but I can't explain if you are seeing different. ?

When the DLP is in 16:9 widescreen, the image definitely looks stretched... though I'll admit it's relatively subtle...some might not even notice. But faces look a little wide and, more telling, circles are a little oval!

In reply to:

Later I found out it was the way the DVD was produced. Later they came out with a special edition that works normal in 16:9 mode. Not sure what your problem is Mark..

I'm assuming that this is the problem...or the Samsung has a weird glitch that it just doesn't handle that ratio well or something.

My first thought was that it was The American President DVD...which I was surprised was 2.35:1. It's a bit older than some discs and is only a "regular, run-of-the-mill" edition. But when I popped in The Abyss, which is a super-duper Deluxe Collector's Edition, and it did the same thing, I thought it was odd that they would not have authored the disc correctly... though I've often been surprised at how often a commercial release has an overlooked fault.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on another couple of 2.35:1 discs (regular and anamorphic) and see what happens....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::