In reply to:

Usually, the emergency is poor planning, poor promising, or complete and total fear of the client on the part of the sales guy.

Heehee. Another "Stupid Sales Guy Trick:"

SG: I told them we'd schedule the upgrade for 4:30 on Friday.

IT1: You WHAT?!

SG: Errummummm I thought that would be best, umm, so as not to impact their schedule.

IT1: They can schedule a down anytime. They run 24/7!

SG: Errrummmumm, uh, huhuh, synergy.

Later:

IT2: He did WHAT?

IT1: That's what I said.

IT2: It's not like the upgrade will only take half an hour! F!ck! We'll be in here until 9. And their IT is off after 5 Friday until Monday morning! If something goes wrong we are going to have to troubleshoot it from 2500 miles away and with only regular mill operators to watch things on their end. F!ck!

IT1: I know. I'm expensing steaks from Ruth's Criss and having them delivered by a cab. The Boss will sign for it before taking a baseball bat to SG's office.

A few minutes later:

The Boss: F!ck! Too bad he sells so much. I'd like to take a baseball bat and smash everything in his office including him. Order the biggest steaks they have and I'll have HIM sign for it under HIS budget. Each of you take a day off next week too on flex time.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti